- Address 43 Shamrock Street, Glasgow, G4 9LD
- Web http://www.stow.ac.uk
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone 0141 564 7307
- Type Sound Production, Music Business, Music Performance, Musical Theatre, Events Management
Stow is a college with a proud heritage, with over 75 years of experience. Widening access to new learning opportunities for those from disadvantaged and under-represented groups is at the heart of their commitment to social justice and the promotion of inclusion.
98% of Stow's full-time students gain employment or progressing to more advanced education or training. This performance was underlined when the college received the top accolade at the prestigious Quality Scotland Business Excellence Awards, being announced winner of the Scottish Award for Business Excellence in 2009; this award category recognises Scottish organisations that have achieved a level of excellence comparable to the best in Europe.
Stow offers a variety of full-time music courses. These include Sound Production, Musical Theatre, Music Performance - Rock/Pop, Music Business, and Commercial Music.
The college was opened by the then Glasgow Corporation on 26 September 1934, taking its name from David Stow (1793-1864), a Victorian philanthropist and one of the greatest pioneers in the history of Scottish Education. Opened on the same day that the Queen Mary was launched on Clydeside, Stow College was described at the time as a ‘Trades School’. It initially provided evening courses to help the workers and companies of Clydeside towards economic recovery by ensuring that they were equipped with the very best technology skills and theory of the time.
In January 2000 the College opened a new campus as part of a £1.3m development (including significant European funding) to take the College into the new millennium. This project transformed the semi-derelict Shakespeare Street Primary School into a modern multi-functional learning facility.
Known as Stow West, this campus is just two miles from the College’s City campus and is located in the Maryhill area of Glasgow. This additional facility has enabled the College to further improve its scale and quality of service to all students, the community and local business.